Rose Matta rice (also known as Kerala matta rice, Palakkadan Matta rice, Kerala Red rice, or Red parboiled rice) (Malayalam: കേരള മട്ട) is an indigenous variety of rice grown in the Palakkad district of Kerala, India. It is known for its coarseness and health benefits. It is popular in Kerala and coastal Karnataka in India and Sri Lanka where it is used on a regular basis for idlies, appams and plain rice; it is different from brown rice.
Palakkadan matta rice was the choice of the royal families of Chola and Chera dynasties of India. The poorer sections of the society had no access to it as this variety was considered very expensive at that time.
Kerala matta rice has been historically popular due to its rich and unique taste. It is used in preparations of rice-snacks like Kondattam, Murukku etc.
- Best Source Of Magnesium
- Half a cup of it has close to 42 g of magnesium. From aiding in nerve signal transmission to preventing heart disease and osteoporosis, Magnesium is a vital component for staying healthy!
- Consuming its grains can significantly lower your risk of heart disease and certain cancers. Due to the lower content of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, it is heart friendly, keeping those important blood vessels clear of clogs and clots.
- it protects from developing insulin resistance, and enhances optimum glucose uptake, ensuring that you stay healthy and free from disease.
- Matta rice also adds other vitamins and minerals to your diet. Its nutrient-rich coat contains generous amounts of Vitamin A, and some forms of Vitamin B. These are extremely important for maintaining many systems of your body and living healthy.
- Matta rice complements your diet with a good dose of calcium, protecting you from painful and cumbersome diseases such as Osteoporosis and weakened bones.